Friday, October 22, 2010

Double or Nothing!

Gord has always been an inspiration to me.  We’ve known each other for more than twenty years.  He went north for a few years, but we still saw each other occasionally.  For the past ten years he’s been a regular client of mine again here at the shop.

One day he decided that we should flip a coin to see who pays for his haircut.  He says, “Double or nothing.”  Meaning that if I win the toss, he would pay double for his haircut, and if I lost the bit, he gets a free haircut.  Fair enough!  I won a few, he won a few.  As time went on, I’d say we were about even.  It was a lot fun. 

On one of his recent visits, we got talking about how, me standing on a cement floor for the past 30 years cutting hair must have taken a bit of a tole on my back and legs.  I said it actually hasn’t been to bad.  But he thought I should have a fatigue mat to stand on, installed around my chair.  And with that in mind he said, “Here’s what we’re gonna do today…when we toss for the haircut, if you win, I'll give you a hundred dollars.  But you have to invest it, in a mat, and I want to see the mat when I come for my next haircut.”  Deal, I thought.  The coin was tossed.  Guess what?  I won!  The mat was there on his next visit.  Proof is in the picture. 

Gord, I know you're reading this, and I just want to say 'Thank you.'  You really are an inspiration, not just to me, but to everyone you come in contact with.  I know.  They told me.  :>)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shawn - I'm liken your blog - and like I said the best time to plant a tree is 25 years ago and the second best time is today. Keep bloggin and journaling all these stories. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've alway said you are the best barber in the world. The fatigue mat is like an investment. I want you cutting my hair for the next few years. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete