Saturday, January 15, 2011

Just like Dad

I called my parents the other day, as I try to do as often as possible.  Which is never often enough, of course.  But that's me.  For one thing, I hate talking on the phone.  And that's a lame excuse too, I know.

Anyway, they live about four thousand miles away, on the east coast, and we live in the west.   Both are in their eighties today.  They are in good health and still very active. 

Dad was a carpenter all his life.  And a first class carpenter, I might add.  He worked very hard to raise us five kids, with Mom ever at his side.  And she still is.  You never see one without the other. 

Even at eighty-six, he's still building things.  Last year he built two row boats, among other projects.  And he told me the other day, he's gonna build another one this winter.  I gave him a book of 'boat plans' a couple of years ago.  I think it had over fifty boat plans in it.  So that should keep him busy for a while. 

And, during the last telephone conversation, I asked Mom, how Dad was doing these days?  She said, "Well, I think your Dad is startin' to slow down!"  And I said, "Startin' to slow down?  He's eighty-six, for cryin' out loud. Maybe he should start to slow down."

So, if you were to ask me today, what I'd want to be in thirty years.  I would have to say... "Just like Dad." 

No comments:

Post a Comment